, , , , ,

I finally arrived aboard the Logos Hope late Saturday afternoon, just in time for supper. The gangplank looked a mile high, pretty steep for a pretty sore foot. Holding on with both hands and looking only at the next step, I made it to the top and wondered how on earth would I ever get down again.

After meeting a lot of new people and re-meeting several I’d met on Logos II, I called it a night and went to bed early. The next day while showering I discovered my sprained ankle was red, hot, swollen and painful, so down to the clinic I went. The same lady doctor I’d interviewed on Logos II examined my foot and declared it inflamed / infected, put me on antibiotics and off my foot! No more stairs, foot up when seated, and initially she told me 5 days of bed rest and no flying! I explained that I was only here for a week, needed to do interviews and take photos, and was scheduled to fly home to South Carolina on Saturday. She looked doubtful and told me “maybe.”

This morning I dressed and headed to the elevator with intentions to visit the clinic again. My foot looked better to me, and the doctor had said to come see her again this morning, so — but the elevator door on my deck (5) refused to open. The receptionist Patricia, who I’d also met on Logos II, called someone to come fix it, then called the clinic to let the doctor know I couldn’t get there. The doctor said she would come to my cabin in a while and check my foot, so back I went, lay down with foot propped up, and began re-reading one of the books I’d brought.

She arrived after a little while, said my foot was better but not well, to take all the antibiotics, still no stairs, and to keep my foot up anytime I was sitting. No walking except when absolutely necessary. Later on she brought me more pain pills, something similar to Tylenol, if I needed them. So far I rarely need to take the pills, which is good.

Since I can’t go wandering around, people are coming to me here in the Dining Room to talk, be interviewed and have their picture taken. It’s not bad, actually. I’m sitting at the family table of Andy West, have had a chance to talk to his wife Melody (Andy is in the states right now with his mom who has had surgery), and being spoiled by a wonderful lady named Geri Weirich. Geri and her husband Del are project workers from California. He does electrical work (retired electrical engineer who worked 30 years doing computer programming for military applications with Boeing). Geri works in the galley part time, baby-sits part time, and helps whoever needs help – like me. She has waited on me, carried things, fixed my plates so I don’t have to stand in line, and generally spends all her time being as useful to as many people as possible. She is pretty, upbeat, cheerful, and a loving bubbly addition to the ship. I have had a chance to talk to her and Del and will try to get a photo of them together.

This is a huge ship, especially compared to Logos II. Work is going on all over, welding, painting, wiring, building, etc., etc., to get the interior completed. The floor here in the dining room looks cardboard-covered. Large sheets of something like particle board are taped together with duck tape. This is to protect the new carpet that has already been installed while construction is going on. At first it looked weird, but now I’m used to it.

I’ve done a number of interviews and taken pictures, which I’ll write up when I get home. For now, I update my handwritten notes, get names spelled correctly, ask questions about ship functions and activities, and generally satisfy my curiosity. I am so grateful to Jon Crowe for helping me get my laptop set up and to all the other folks who are so welcoming and helpful. More later from cloudy-today Kiel, where the buildings surrounding the port are beautiful, historic and would make wonderful photos as soon as we get a more sunny day.